The full MPD Body Worn Cameras policy is available at section 4-223 of the Minneapolis Police Department Policy and Procedure Manual.
MPD Body Camera Facts:
- -All patrol and SWAT officers are equipped with cameras, totaling approximately 600 sworn officers
- -2 full time civilian staff members were hired to aid in records management for the video produced by officers wearing body cameras
- -Each camera costs approximately $400, while data storage costs for each individual officer will range between $80 and $100 per month
- -The MPD reviewed at least 18 other law enforcement agency policies before producing its preliminary draft
- -The MPD also considered recommendations from the Police Conduct Oversight Commission, American Civil Liberties Union, International Association of Chiefs of Police, League of Minnesota Cities, Fraternal Order of Police, and the International Municipal Lawyers Association before putting together its preliminary draft on standard operating procedures.